Printing from a personal computer
Find the name of the public printer you wish to use, and then follow one of these instructions depending on your operating system. (Printing is only allowed when connected to the CIMS network or NYU Wireless.)
Note: Windows computers need Microsoft File and Printer Sharing installed.
Installing a Printer
- Select the "Start Menu".
- Select the "My Computer" icon.
- In the "My Computer" window, select the "Address bar" and enter: \\printserver.cims.nyu.edu
- If your machine is not part of the CIMS domain network, then you may be prompted for your CIMS account information. At the login prompt, you must preceed your CIMS username with the text "CIMSSAM\". For example, if your username was johndoe you would enter CIMSSAM\johndoe.
- Double click the name of the public printer you want to print with.
- When the print queue window for this printer shows up, the printer should be installed.
After installing your printer, you can print as normal by selecting the newly installed printer from the list of printers (the name of the printer will be prefixed with \\printserver.cims.nyu.edu.)
When adding network printers on Windows 8 or Windows 10, an error occurs while connecting to the printer (Operation failed with error 0x000006d1). Before installing the printer, there is a registry file (right click and click "save link as") that can be downloaded and run to fix the issue.
DISCLAIMER: This .reg file is from an outside source. For more information google "ForceCSREMFDespooling".
Mac OS X (10.5 through 10.10)
Installing a Printer
- Select the "Apple Menu" in the top-left corner of your screen.
- Select the "System Preferences" option.
- Select the "Print & Fax" icon
- Click the "+" to Add a printer.
- Right-click the menu bar (top-grey area), select "Customize Toolbar.."
- Add the "Advanced" by dragging it to the menu bar.
- Under the "Advanced" tab, select Type: "Windows" for 10.5-10.6, or: "Windows printer via spools" for 10.7-10.10.
- Leave "Device" as the default "Another Device"
- URL: smb://printserver.cims.nyu.edu/MY_PRINTER (in place of "MY_PRINTER," substitute the name of the printer you want to use, e.g. BWPR25).
- Change the name to the name of the printer you're using (e.g. BWPR25), the location is optional
- For the option Print Using select "Printer Software…" and then select the apropriate printer model. (If you do not know the printer model you can just use "Generic PostScript Printer".)
- The printer you added should now be in your queue.
- When first printing to this printer, you may be prompted to enter a username & password. If the print queue says "Authorization required" for your print job, right click on the print job to enter your credentials. For your username, please preface it with "CIMSSAM\" E.G. Username: CIMSSAM\your_CIMS_username (and) Password: your_CIMS_password. Please be sure to add the username & password to the "keychain." If the job is put on hold due to an authentication error, please resume the job and/or the printer to prompt the submission of your credentials.
After installing your printer, you can print as normal by selecting the newly installed printer from the list of printers. If the printer does not print, try pausing & restarting it. Note that you must enter your CIMS username and password, instead of the default, which would be the local password. Jobs may be put on hold until the correct login info is given. If this happens, click on the printer icon and then "resume" to re-enter your info.
Installing a Printer
Find the name of the public printer you wish to use, and then follow these instructions.
If the printer doesn't show up automatically, make sure that "Browsing" is turned on in cups. You can do that by pointing your browser to the cups adminstration page. Make sure that "Browsing" or "Show printers shared by other systems" is turned on. Browse Samba/Windows printers by selecting Windows Printer via SAMBA. Specify the URI of the printer as in smb://printserver.cims.nyu.edu/PRINTER (where PRINTER is the name of the printer from Location of Public Printers). If your machine is not part of the CIMS domain network, then you may be prompted for your CIMS account information. At the login prompt, you must preceed your CIMS username with the text "CIMSSAM\". For example, if your username was johndoe you would enter CIMSSAM\johndoe.
After installing your printer, you can print as normal by selecting the newly installed printer from the list of printers.