Visiting Researcher (Sabbatical Year 2022–2023)
Associate Professor of Linguistics, Data Science & Computer Science
Co-PI, Alignment Research Group, ML² Group & CILVR Lab
New York University
PhD 2016, Stanford NLP Group & Stanford Linguistics
I study artificial neural network models for natural language understanding, with a focus on language model alignment, building high-quality training and evaluation data, and applying neural network models to scientific questions in syntax and semantics.
I think you should join Giving What We Can.
You're most likely to have encountered my group by way of our SNLI, MultiNLI datasets, our GLUE and SuperGLUE benchmark competitions, our jiant software toolkit, or our papers on topics like the inductive biases of language models or the viability of transfer learning for NLP.
If we haven't been in contact previously, please look through this FAQ before emailing me. You can reach me at email@example.com.
- I'm organizing a new AI safety research group at NYU, and I wrote up a blog post explaining what we're up to and why.
- I got tenure, and am an associate professor as of fall! Thanks to the many, many people who made this possible.
- I have new major funding for work on language model alignment! Watch this space.
- I'm excited about our large specialist-written QuALITY (multiple-choice) and SQuALITY (long-text answer) benchmarks for machine reading comprehension over long input texts. Both are available now, and QuALITY will be presented at NAACL.
- I'll be on leave and away from NYU for a sabbatical year from Summer 2022 through Summer 2023 while taking on a visiting researcher role at Anthropic in San Francisco. I'll still be advising researchers at NYU, but my availability for other service will be very limited.
- I have new funding for data collection/crowdsourcing work from the NSF CAREER program and from Google's Collabs program. Thanks to everyone who reviewed the proposals!
- I joined the Department of Computer Science at NYU's Courant Institute as an associated faculty member, in addition to my primary appointment in Linguistics and Data Science.
- I'm a co-founder and co-director of NYU's new Data Science for Social Good program, a 12-week research training program for graduate students and postdocs. Applications for summer 2021 are now open!
- My group's software toolkit for end-to-end training and evaluation of NLP models, jiant, was selected as one of the top 10 systems in the 2020 RepEval Shared Task on Replicable Evaluation in NLP.
- Those last two news items aren't real. They were generated by GPT-3, conditioning on the rest of this page.