Self-Employed ACA Subsidy Calculator
Warning: this calculator is only for research purposes. We don't take any responsibility for the results.
This website does not provide any legal or tax advice. Consult a tax professional.
Use this calculator only if you qualify. Requirements include:
- Your health insurance is a qualifying plan from a government exchange;
- Your earned income from self-employment exceeds the net health insurance cost that
you will deduct (eg, it exceeds your annual, unsubsidized, health insurance premium);
- You are neither eligible for Medicaid, nor an affordable health insurance plan from an
employer or similar. Note that you qualify for Medicaid in a state with income-based
Medicaid expansion if your modified adjusted gross income is less than 138% of the
federal poverty line for your location and household size. If your state does not have
income-based Medicaid expansion, you must still have modified adjusted gross income
of at least 100% of the federal poverty line. You can use the subsidy calculator to check
what your modified adjusted gross income would be if you tried to get a subsidy;
- You had coverage for all twelve months (if this is not true, expect a fraction of the subsidy equal to the fraction of months you had coverage);
- You will deduct net health insurance cost on Line 29 of your Form 1040 (or the
corresponding line on whatever form you file) when filing your tax return.