[Systems Critical] Planned Power Outage

Critical CIMS systems related announcements systems_critical at cims.nyu.edu
Sun May 5 10:06:39 EDT 2013

   Planned Power Outage

   Courant is coordinating with ITS to schedule a power outage in the
   Weaver Hall data center for electrical work related to the installation
   new UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) systems, which will provide
   emergency backup power to the entire data center. The outage will be
   substantial, lasting approximately 16-24 hours, during which time
   Courant's primary system and network services in Warren Weaver Hall
   be unavailable. At this time, the proposed target date for the outage
   Saturday, June 22nd, 2013. We will know more about specific timing as
   planning progresses.
   This work must be scheduled for this summer, as the current UPS
   infrastructure for the data center is both obsolete and inadequate.

   Because this data center serves as the hub of Courant's computing and
   network services, the impact of this outage will be significant, but so
   will the benefits, though the objective is that users will never be
   of them.
   During the outage:
   While Courant's primary file and mail servers will be unavailable, and
   network connectivity throughout Warren Weaver Hall, both wired and
   wireless, will be out of commission, systems and network connectivity
   715/719 Broadway will remain available.

   To minimize the impact of the outage on our community, fail-over
   housed in 715 Broadway will be used to keep CIMS, Math, CS and research
   web services on-line, as well as to provide "read only" access to files
   and mail, enabling users to continue working using alternative storage
   space, either on their personal computers or temporary disk space
   will provide.
   After the Outage:
   Following this initial phase of the work, a second outage of CIMS
   equipment will need to be planned for a later date to
   connect our circuit panels to the new UPS systems. This subsequent
   will be considerably shorter in duration than the first.
   At present, we have limited backup power capacity protecting only our
   critical servers and disk systems. Once the transition is completed,
   however, this protection will extend to secondary services and
   resources, protecting long-running jobs! and generally enabling us to
   withstand planned and unplanned power disruptions lasting as long as
   15-30 minutes. The most practical advantage of this is that it will
   smooth transitions between Con Edison and NYU Co-gen power in cases
   such transfers are necessary.

   Read online at:

   NYU Courant Institute