[Systems Critical] Security/Software Updates (Linux reboots)

Critical CIMS systems related announcements systems_critical at cims.nyu.edu
Wed Jan 16 22:10:38 EST 2013

   Security/Software Updates (Linux reboots)

   Following up on the home [1]home directory server updates, we'll be
   doing Linux system updates the following day.  [2]Compute nodes as well
   as desktop machines WILL BE REBOOTED on Tuesday (Jan. 22nd).  Rolling
   updates will be applied to machines between 8pm and 12am. In an effort
   to try and minimize any corrupted files or lost work, please save all
   your data and logout of any linux systems before 8pm. Many of the
   updates have already been made on several linux machines in the
   computer lab located in WWH229. We urge people to test any packages
   that are critical to their work and let us know if they encounter any
   problems before the updates occur. The machines that have been updated

     * WWH229: pubbox1.cims.nyu.edu
       WWH229: pubbox10.cims.nyu.edu
       WWH229: pubbox16.cims.nyu.edu
       WWH229: pubbox26.cims.nyu.edu
       WWH229: pubbox33.cims.nyu.edu
       WWH229: pubbox34.cims.nyu.edu
       WWH229: pubbox41.cims.nyu.edu
       WWH229: pubbox45.cims.nyu.edu
       WWH229: pubbox46.cims.nyu.edu

   Some significant software updates include (but are not limitted to):
     * Linux kernel (automatic REBOOT)

   Read online at:

   NYU Courant Institute

   1. file://localhost/webapps/content/systems/announcements/critical/2013/01/16/01
   2. http://cims.nyu.edu/webapps/feed/systems/announcements/content/systems/resources/computeservers