Accounts Payable Transaction Paperwork

(Drafted April 25, 2002)

  1. Make the paperwork easy to read and easy to understand. Many people will have to look at it, and the less time they have to spend reviewing it, the sooner the payment can be made.
  2. If you fill out forms by hand, make sure all handwriting is legible and unambiguous.
  3. Include original receipts, hotel bills, etc. If, for some unusual reason, the original is not available, and a photocopy or Fax is submitted instead, please include a note explaining why the original is not available. The note should be signed and dated.
  4. Make sure that backup documentation shows that the expense was not only incurred, but also paid for. Examples: (a) The transaction documents supplied with merchandise that is shipped to us do not always make this clear. (b) A car rental agreement is not proof of expenditure unless it specifically shows that an amount was paid.
  5. Prepare the paperwork so that it is easy to compare the amounts shown on the form with the amounts shown on the backup documentation ( the receipts, the hotel bills, etc.) One good way to prepare the documentation is to tape receipts, etc. onto 8.5" x 11" paper, in categorical or chronological order.
  6. To reimburse conference registration fees, we need to include proof of payment (e.g. receipt) and also information about the means of payment (e.g. check, credit card, etc.).
  7. Provide specific information for any dollar amounts claimed under the "Other" category.
  8. If the transaction involves any foreign currency, please make a note on the transaction paperwork regarding the currency exchange rate(s) being used, and the effective date(s) of the rate(s). When a reimbursement includes currencies from more than one country, make sure to indicate the currency which is involved for each expense item. For website on currency exchange rates see HERE
  9. Government grants cannot be used to pay for the meal expenses of people who are in their home location. For example, if a PI or research scientist takes a scientific visitor out for a meal here in New York, the expense of the visitor's meal can be covered, but not the host's.
  10. No alcoholic beverages can be charged to Federal grants.
  11. NYU or CIMS seminar expenses cannot be charged to government grants except in rare cases where the grant was made in order to support the seminar (or workshop).
  12. When making payments to people who are not NYU employees, it is very important to fill in the information about Residency Status (Item No. 1 on the payment to individuals form).
  13. When we are paying a foreign scientific visitor who received her/his visa through another university (not NYU), we must include a letter from the other university showing that it gives permission for the foreign visitor to receive the payment(s) from NYU. The letter needs to be on the letterhead of that university.
  14. If the payee is someone other than the PI or Co-PI on the grant, one of the PI's should co-sign the payment form to show approval of the transaction.
  15. If the payment paperwork is prepared by someone other than the payee, the preparer should initial the document in the margin.
  16. Check the arithmetic twice!!

Return to CIMS Accounts Payable Forms Page