New Practices for NYU-Related Travel Effective 1/30/2012

In order to keep members of the NYU community safer as they travel for University-related purposes, the University is introducing a new web-based portal, NYU Traveler, that will be used by all those traveling for University-related purposes beginning in 1/30/2012.

FAQ about NYU Traveler can be found at:


You can receive either a per diem or be reimbursed for actual expenses:

    • Per diem rate: $50 per day (in U.S., Canada & Mexico).
    • When traveling to foreign counties per diem rate varies, see: here.
    • No receipts required for a per diem.
    • Traveler can be reimbursed for actual expenses with original meal receipts.
    • Restaurant "tear tabs" are not an acceptable receipt.
    • Alcoholic beverages are not an allowable expense on federal grants.

Air Travel

  • On federal grants U.S. airlines must be used, if a "U.S. flag carrier" services that destination. For more information, please visit
  • Please note that if you buy a ticket through a U.S. airline, but the actual flight is on a foreign carrier, this is considered a "code share" and is acceptable.
  • Original receipts required (credit card statement is not sufficient).
  • Traveler must fly coach or equivalent.


  • Original itemized receipts are required.
  • In most circumstances, the combined daily cost of hotel and meals should not exceed $350.

Mileage Reimbursement

Local Transportation

  • Receipts are not required for taxis or public transportation for reimbursement under $25 -- but should be included if possible.

Special NYU Fare Agreements

For general information please see the Travel section on NYU's main website.

American Express Travel Card

  • Faculty members may apply for an NYU American Express travel card. For university-related travel expenses these charges can be paid directly from a grant, without the individual laying out any funds.
  • A cash advance of up to $500 per week can be obtained from many ATMs.
  • Any non-business related charges have to be paid directly by the cardholder to credit card company.

Travel Advances

  • Travelers can receive 2 types of advances: up to $500 per week of the trip, and in addition, you can can get an advance on funds laid out for items such as airline tickets purchased before the trip----the advance can be either be paid to the traveler or to American Express.

Use of Courant Business Travel Account

  • The BTA (Business Travel Account) card can be used to secure reservations for travel that is being charged to a federally funded project not covered by another source. This account may only be used after the Faculty American Express and Student Cash Advance options have been utilized and if the traveler's expenses will exceed $1,000 and/or create a hardship for them to wait for reimbursement. Once the travel on the federal project is approved by the project's Principal Investigator, requests for use of the BTA card must be made to and approved by Irene Robling. Requests may be submitted through the Principal Investigator's Administrative Aide. Travelers must submit all original receipt to Sarah Bellows.

Please note that these rules apply both to NYU employees and students.

Forms and more information on advances can be found here.

If you have any questions on any of the above, contact the appropriate SPO, or other administrator.